The King’s Highway, also known as Volcano Trail, was constructed in the 16th century, and facilitated quicker pedestrian traffic around Maui before horses were brought to Hawaii. Most of it has been destroyed by modern construction, but segments still remain in the remoter parts of the island.
The photos in this series cover a section of the highway that was rebuilt in the 1830’s, running east of La Perouse Bay. This is also the 1790 lava field section of Maui.
Click on the images for high rez versions.